New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | May 30, 2023

Jamestown last second TD stuns NK

By Alan Chamberlain | November 27, 2007 11:06 am

Only 36 seconds remained in the game when New Kent running back Justin Williams crossed the goal line for the tying touchdown and Jake Williams booted the extra point to give the host Trojans a 34-33 lead over Jamestown’s Eagles.

Williams’ 10-yard run around the left side capped a 65-yard march that began with four minutes to go, answering a Jamestown touchdown that had broken a 27-27 deadlock. The Eagles missed the extra point, which had left the door open for New Kent.

Showing no signs of panic, the Trojans calmly and methodically unleashed an 11-play drive, helped by an Eagle pass interference infraction and climaxed by Williams’ run. Even a procedure call on the ensuing placement failed to deter the Trojans. Backed up five yards so that the extra point became a 25-yard effort, Williams split the uprights to put New Kent in front. The victory celebration was on. Seconds separated the hosts from ending a dismal 2-7 season on an up note.

But the Trojans were not the team of destiny last Friday night. That honor belonged to the Eagles who, coming in, had never beaten a New Kent football team.

With 24 seconds left, Jamestown quarterback Mike Laycock heaved a desperation toss on a play that started 71 yards away from the end zone. Trojan defender Malcolm Jones leaped to deflect the pass, but the carom landed in the arms of Eagle running back Curtis Stevenson. Stevenson eluded potential tacklers, crossing the goal line with 16 seconds left to hand Jamestown a 40-34 triumph.

“That’s the season in microcosm,” New Kent coach Fred Birchett said afterward. “We’ve had so many games where a break here or a break there could have made a difference.”

The final minute’s shocking turnaround developed its roots at the first half closed. Behind a one-yard Gabe Smith run and Williams’ 32-yard field goal, New Kent owned a 10-7 lead with under a minute to go.

With time running out, the Eagles’ Laycock picked off a Trojan pass. Then on the next play and final snap of the half, Laycock connected with running back RaKeem Pressey on a 32-yard scoring play to help out the visitors in front 14-10 at the break.

Jamestown appeared in control, needing just four plays to score after taking the second half kickoff. Stevenson raced the final 38 yards to up the Eagle lead to 21-10.

But New Kent recovered quickly, thanks to Desmond Worelds’ 89-yard sprint with the ensuing kickoff. Smith’s conversion run pulled the hosts back within a field goal at 21-18.

Helped by a facemask penalty, the Eagles drove 51 yards in nine plays to rebuild a 27-18 lead. The extra point was blocked.

New Kent punted to end its next series, but the defense held Jamestown on downs, forcing a punt from deep in Eagle territory. The hosts got a break when the snap sailed over the head of punter Ricky Deakyne. Deakyne booted the ball through the end zone for a safety, closing the gap to 27-20.

The Trojans took Jamestown’s free kick and drove 55 yards in 11 plays to score on Mitchell Baker’s three-yard plunge through the middle with 7:47 left in the game. Kirk Pomfrey’s placement created a 27-27 deadlock.

Jamestown answered with a six-play, 60-yard drive capped by Pressey’s 38-yard TD run. Deakyne hooked the extra point kick wide left to make it 33-27 with 4:08 to play.