New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | May 11, 2026

New Kent dominates, ends loss streak with 6-0 win over West Point

By Alan Chamberlain | May 2, 2015 12:14 am

A collision between New Kent's Jonathan Bottoms and West Point's Kang Win (4) resulted in the Pointer player falling to the ground and Bottoms controlling the ball.

Alan Chamberlain photo

After going more than a month without a soccer win, New Kent’s Trojans reversed the trend in decisive fashion with a 6-0 conquest of West Point’s visiting Pointers.

Friday night’s outcome ended a string of seven straight losses that had been punctuated by a lone tie. The hosts improved to 3-7-1.

“We finally hit a point where we were ready to play, and we came to play,” said Trojan coach Keith Grant. “Our guys really wanted to end that losing streak.”

Joey Clark opened New Kent’s scoring six minutes into the contest. Eight minutes later, Clark’s header off a Darren McCaughan throw-in upped the lead to 2-0. Tyler Brightwell created a 3-0 halftime advantage, blasting a shot through the hands of Pointer keeper Patrick Gaddams eight minutes before the break.

New Kent’s defense limited West Point to a pair of first half shots, effectively keeping pressure off goalkeeper Justin Cox. The hosts totaled 13 shots before halftime.

“We kept the pressure up and found the confidence that’s been missing since the first part of the season,” said Grant. “The offense did very well. I’m really happy with them.”

When play resumed, the hosts picked up where they left off. Jared Stevens hammered in an early goal with an assist from Alec Bailey. Nate Cook added a score on a penalty kick, the result of a Pointer pushing violation in the box, before Bailey closed the scoring with a header in the game’s waning moments.

For the match, New Kent unleashed 22 shots to eight for the Pointers. Cox stopped five Pointer shots.