New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | October 21, 2021

Defense a no-show in CC, Lancaster overtime contest

By Alan Chamberlain | October 7, 2010 11:16 am

Don’t look for phrases such as “both teams playing solid defense” and  “both offenses showing little spark” in any account of Charles City’s football encounter with Lancaster’s Red Devils. Defense took the night off. Thankfully, offense did not.

After three hours plus of big plays and unstoppable drives that produced 18 touchdowns and more than 1,600 total yards, the visiting Red Devils walked away with a 70-62 win in overtime. Both teams entered unbeaten at 2-0 for the Sept. 24 clash.

“If the defense had stood just a little bit, the outcome might have been different,” said Charles City head coach Steward Greene. “But we could run the ball at will and pass it whenever we wanted to.

“This was a big test,” he said. “I wanted to see where we are, and I see we’re ready for some district games now.”

The fireworks began on the game’s second play from scrimmage. Panther quarterback Avery Jones rolled left and found Trevor Jones 15 yards behind the Red Devil secondary for an easy 76-yard TD strike. Lancaster answered with a seven-play, 40-yard march to tie the contest, but on the second play of Charles City’s next series, the Jones-to-Jones combo worked again. Trevor Jones hauled in the pass in the flat and got a key downfield block from Terrance Banks on an 84-yard scamper to the end zone.

Again, Lancaster evened the count and converted a Panther fumble into another TD drive and a 22-16 lead. But Avery Jones fired 33 yards to tight end Dominic Jones, helping the hosts take a 24-22 advantage into the second quarter.

Lancaster moved back in front before Trevor Jones closed the half with a pair of touchdown runs. Charles City owned a 40-28 lead at the break.

The Red Devils, however, wasted little time in mounting a rally. Shaun Lee raced 85 yards with the second half kickoff to close the gap to a touchdown. Then Lee capped an 80-yard drive from seven yards out to create a 40-40 deadlock.

Charles City responded, this time with Trevor Jones passing to Avery Jones on a 25-yard TD play. Heading into the fourth quarter, the hosts were back on top 48-40.

The teams traded touchdowns before a pair of Tiko Henderson runs, the second coming with 1:57 left in the game, handed Lancaster a 62-56 lead.

Buoyed by Trevor Jones’ 52-yard kickoff return to the Red Devil 33 yard line, Charles City mounted a drive to overtake the Red Devils. On fourth and goal from the five, Jones rolled left, tucked the ball under his arm, and sprinted to the corner of the end zone to tie with 13 seconds left. With a chance to win in regulation, Jones rolled right on the conversion, but Henderson made the tackle in the backfield to force overtime.

Lancaster won the overtime toss, electing to go on offense. Starting at the 10 yard line, three running plays reached the three before Lee plunged over the right side on fourth down to put the guests in front to stay. Lee then ran for the conversion and an eight-point advantage.

Charles City’s turn on offense netted just two yards to the eight on first and second down plays. On third down, a diving Dominic Jones could not handle Dominick Barbour’s halfback pass thrown low into the end zone. Now down to a final play, Trevor Jones targeted Dominic Jones, but defender Michael Coleman broke up the pass in the end zone.

“We’ve only got 23 guys out there, but I’ve definitely got some warriors,” Greene said. “I attribute what we do to the players’ hard work. They give us all they’ve got every day.”