Submissions policy for articles, advertisements, coming events, and church events:
Advertisements are due by 5 p.m. the Monday prior to the publication issue. Deadline may be extended at discretion of our advertising department.
Article submissions are due by 5 p.m. the Monday prior to the publication issue. Articles must be relative to the Charles City and New Kent area only. (Special cases will be made for localities outside our distribution area). Submissions will appear in print edition once space is available and will appear online on our website. Articles and submissions may be edited as needed and subject to publication at the discretion of the editor. No articles will be accepted via social media.
Letters to the Editor Policy
1. Letters must have author’s name, address, and daytime phone number for verification purposes.
2. Letters printed will include author’s name and home post office.
3. Letters must have author’s name, location, be brief and to the point (300 words or less), and are subject to editing for space constraints, libel, etc.
4. No anonymous letters will be printed.
5. Letters from the same author will not be published in consecutive issues.
6. Letters can be submitted by regular mail or fax, but email is preferred to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Letters published are the opinion of the submitter and do not reflect those of the Chronicle or its staff members.
Church and Coming Events
Submissions for coming and church events are due by 5 p.m. the Monday prior to the publication issue. Church and coming events must be relative to Charles City and New Kent only. Coming and church events may be submitted beginning one month prior to the event. Coming and Church Events must have a date of that event. (Events without a date or that take place over a time period are considered ongoing events and solicitations and do not qualify for our coming or church events.) Submissions and coming events must not have a cost associated with them. Events will be edited and published at the discretion of the editor. No coming or church events will be accepted via social media.
All coverage request for Chronicle staff to be at an event must be made at least one week prior to the event. Event must be relative to Charles City and New Kent. If staff is unable to attend, a picture or brief article may be submitted. All submissions are subject to editing and publication will be at the discretion of the editor.
Social media posts
Posts made on any of our social media pages (i.e. Facebook) may be made as long as they are brief and to the point. Posts not allowed are as follows:
1. Any post that promotes the selling/buying of a product of service.
2. Any event not located in New Kent or Charles City or involving the localities.
3. Any flyer that is deemed an advertisement.
4. Lost and found of an object, pet, etc.
5. Comments that aren’t demeaning or offensive to the article or other commenting.
6. Any type of profane language in a comment.
Any violation of the social media posts will result in the deletion of the item and/or losing the privilege to our social media page. If you have been banned from the page, you may request to have access reinstated after a 30-day period. Repeat violators will lose all posting and viewing privileges indefinitely.