New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | May 19, 2019

Community

Editorial: Advice for the Class of 2019

By Andre Jones | May 8, 2019 8:54 am

As graduation day rapidly approaches for our students in Charles City and New Kent County, I want to send a personal message out to push them to the finish line and remind them to follow their own positive path and not those people want for you. In the past, there was always a conception that all high school students should attend college because a college education will up their chances on finding a job or career in the real world. While I truly value the college education that I received, that is not the case anymore. Several alternatives after high…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Says Convention vote should count with Wyatt to represent 97th District

By Community Member | May 6, 2019 9:29 pm

Last Saturday, hundreds of voters convened at a convention to elect the delegate for the 97th District. I filed my application to become a delegate, participated in the mass meeting in New Kent, and I followed the process closely over many weeks. Chris Peace also attended the mass meetings. His campaign was a blatant disrespect for constituents. This is not “his seat.” The seat is earned! A legislator who truly believes that government is of the people and by the people would not create chaos. Peace should respect the party and the people of the committee. He should have attended…
Read Full Story

BCCTC innovation winners

By Community Member | May 6, 2019 12:06 am
Students of Bridging Communities Career and Technical Center in New Kent emerged as winners of the inaugural “Get Into Energy” Innovation Challenge held on Apr. 16, 2019. Teams were asked to develop a proposal to answer the question, “What innovative, renewable energy or sustainability solutions do you recommend to create Virginia’s ‘self-healing’ energy grid?” The team from Bridging Communities created a solution entitled “microGridVA: Sustainable Energy for Virginia’s Power Generation Deserts.” Members of the winning team and second year engineering students are Nathan Baum (New Kent), Jay Benfield (New Kent), Destinee Brooks, Nicholas Cayton, Sarah Davis (New Kent), Hannah Nelson, Kyle Peck (New Kent), and John Richart (New Kent).

Clopton Scholarship winners

By Community Member | May 5, 2019 11:46 pm
(L to R) Noah Babin, Adam Caldwell, Christine Best, and Madison Courtney are recipients of the Louise Miller Clopton and William Boyd Clopton Memorial Scholarships presented by St. Peter’s Parish Church. The $1,000 awards are presented to students who demonstrate strong moral character, religious involvement, community service, motivation, and academic success. Not pictured are recipients Justine Eckert and Jennifer Critz.

Charles City Volunteerism Program 2019

By Robb Johnson | May 5, 2019 9:39 am
Above, Elenora Robinson (left) is recognized by Charles City County Administrator Michelle Johnson (right) as the 2019 Honoree at Charles City County’s second annual Volunteerism program held on May 3. Robinson is involved in many organizations that include the NAACP, Charles City Civic League, and continues to be the voice of citizens unable to attend meetings due to health or other ailments. Below, Steven Williams Jr. is honored with the Spirit of Youth award, which is given to a young person for their unselfish choices of giving back to Charles City County.Robb Johnson photos

Sixth annual NKHS LiveSmart event

By Robb Johnson | May 3, 2019 7:42 pm
Students had an opportunity to experience the dangers of driving under the influence as they wore glasses and sat behind the wheel of a modified golf cart as part of New Kent High School’s sixth annual LiveSmart event that took place on May 2. Sponsored by the Youth Alcohol Drug Abuse Prevention Project (YADAPP), activities included a CPR demonstration and interaction with law enforcement officers as a part of an effort to promote living a healthy and safe lifestyle.Robb Johnson photo

Editorial: It’s time for Charles City and New Kent to receive more compensation for local races and rides

By Andre Jones | May 1, 2019 1:35 am

This week’s editorial is going to be very simple and straightforward; it’s time for counties to get more out of the races that take over our local roadways. First of all, I am not opposed to either of the events that are taking place this weekend in both Charles City and New Kent County. What I am concerned about is how some organizations claim to be giving back to local communities. From my time as a reporter, I have not personally seen anything brought in by the counties for these events. An example of this could be last year with…
Read Full Story

Charles City Public Schools Third Quarter Honor Roll 2018-2019

By Community Member | April 30, 2019 1:00 pm

Charles City Elementary School Grade 3- All A’s: Christopher Barbour, Annalee Steffen, Portia Tyler. A/B Honor Roll: Mariah Black, Isaac Blanks, Noah Bright, Aiden Cash, Dalaija Cotman, Bradley Fitzgerald, Kristin Harris, Jewel Otey, Sebastian Peck, Brooke Richardson, Carter Sheridan, Riley Waldron. Grade 4- All A’s: Charlie Fetter, Joseph Wall. A/B Honor Roll: Dylan Bowman, Shianne Bowman, Trae Crawley, Jaxon Foreman, Brianna Kelley, Kylea New, Emily Peterson, Jacari Reed, Makaila Smith, Kaylee Stewart, Quinton Tyler. Grade 5- All A’s: Alexis Bradby, Alanye Greene, Jaylen Hayes, Jaylen Lock. A/B Honor Roll: Nina Cannada, Karley Jasper. Grade 6- All A’s: Olivia Adkins, Nyhakiyah…
Read Full Story

DriveSmart at Charles City High School

By Robb Johnson | April 30, 2019 12:23 pm
Above, Charles City High School sophomores DeAngelo Smith (left) and Cheyenne Marshall (right) take on an impaired driving bike course as part of the DriveSmart event on Monday. The event emphasizes the dangers of drunk driving, dangers of texting while driving, and the importance of practicing good safety tips when behind the wheel. Below, Diamond Washington discovers the difficulty of driving while texting through the use of a simulator.Robb Johnson photos

Harris inducted into Garnet and Gold Scholar Society

By Community Member | April 30, 2019 11:06 am

Kara Harris, an Exercise Physiology major from New Kent, was inducted in Florida State University’s Garnet and Gold Scholar Society on Apr. 25. She was one of 314 students to be inducted into the special society. To be inducted, a student must meet the engagement area criteria and submit a synthesis reflection project before graduation. The society also highlights student involvement within the classroom and outside the classroom in the areas of international experience, internship, leadership, research, and service.

« Previous News More News »