New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | November 20, 2017

Community

Editorial: It’s time to invest into paid firefighters in Charles City

By Andre Jones | November 14, 2017 5:33 pm

I think the title of this editorial is self-explanatory. Every time I travel down Adkins Road in Charles City, I pass Fire Station #1. On the sign, it reads “volunteer.” It’s heartbreaking on a personal note as I know the struggles of getting firefighters (and EMS workers) for the county. Growing up, I watched my father work as a volunteer firefighter. There were many nights where he went out to a fire at 8 p.m. at night, returned home at 2 a.m. and left for his day job at 4 a.m. In those days, the number of volunteers was modest…
Read Full Story

LEGO Robotics winners

By Community Member | November 12, 2017 10:55 pm
New Kent Middle School’s FLL LEGO Robotics team took first place at the Core Values regional competition in Richmond this past weekend. The group earned top awards in teamwork, professionalism, and sportsmanship. Pictured are (top, l to r) Logan Greenawalt, Dominic Valeroti, Carson Seely, Jacob Blakenship, Sarah Miller, (bottom, l to r) Hope Giewont, Carson Ryan, Logan Rooks, and Jaden Gaskin.

Letter to the Editor: Expects Delegate Peace to do more for district

By Community Member | November 10, 2017 5:03 pm

In 2017, 33,656 constituents voted in the election for the 97th District representative, more than any of the previous races. Obviously the higher turn out was due to the races at the top of the ticket, but as national politics play out over the next few years, we’d be well advised to pay attention to the voters of the 97th District. Having run four races unopposed, and then another race against a candidate that you outspent 62:1, I’m sure Del. Chris Peace viewed Cori Johnson’s candidacy as seriously as an elephant might view a gnat. But upon closer inspection, there’s…
Read Full Story

Paying respects in Charles City

By Robb Johnson | November 10, 2017 4:33 pm
Above, Charles City JROTC’s honor guard present a memorial wreath as a rendition of TAPS is played as part of Charles City’s Veterans Day ceremony Friday morning. Approximately 100 people attended the ceremony at the courthouse complex as part of the recognition ceremony to honor those who served the country. Below, Marshall Black, 94, is recognized as the oldest living World War II veteran. At bottom, former U.S. Army member Byron Adkins Jr. delivers the message to highlight the occasion.Robb Johnson photos

Honoring veterans at NKMS

By Andre Jones | November 10, 2017 11:55 am
Above, family members of the late Sara Elizabeth Toy Zeman are moved to tears as a proclamation for her dedication to the United States Air Force is read by Kenneth Otey during New Kent Middle School’s annual Veterans Day ceremony held Friday morning. The ceremony continues to be a draw for a number of community members as veterans and their families are honored at the event. Below keynote speaker Major Alan D. Walker delivers a message that “Freedom isn’t Free” as he emphasizes to students the important sacrifices made by veterans. At bottom, the combined Lion & Crescendo choirs perform a modernized rendition of “America the Beautiful.”Andre' Jones photos

A bridge of success

By Andre Jones | November 9, 2017 3:40 pm
Above, former New Kent County Sheriff F.W. “Wakie” Howard Jr. (center, back) is accompanied by family during a bridge dedication ceremony in his honor on Nov. 9. The bridge, located at the border of Charles City and New Kent, was chosen to signify his hometown of Charles City and his 36 years of service to New Kent County as sheriff. Below, Howard becomes very emotional as the sign bearing his name is revealed for the very first time.Andre' Jones photos

Editorial: The Route 60 dilemma; not just about the road conditions

By Andre Jones | November 7, 2017 8:22 pm

First, let me preference this by saying this article is not about the condition of Route 60 (Pocahontas Trail) in New Kent. Those who travel that road already know and understand that it is need of major repairs and paving. Virginia’s Department of Transportation (VDOT) already knows that as well and has started implementing a plan for future work on the road. Instead, I want to focus on the importance of Route 60 itself and the impact it has on citizens. The real concern comes when Interstate 64 in New Kent becomes a parking lot. In the past before cell…
Read Full Story

New Kent Lions’ Club sponsors eye screenings

By Community Member | November 6, 2017 4:11 pm

Students at Charles City public schools benefitted from local eye screens provided by New Kent’s Lions Club. Approximately 210 pupils were provided the service Sept. 18-19. Using a device known as “The Spot”, the non-invasive device captures pictures of students’ eyes to determine and analyze if any abnormalities are present. Students in kindergarten, third grade, seventh grade, and tenth grade were tested for eye problems that include lazy eye, unaligned eyes, unequal pupil size, and cross/wall-eyed.

Overseas trip opens doors, eyes of Charles City students

By Andre Jones | November 4, 2017 12:35 am
Charles City High School spanish teacher Kristi Emerson (left) was joined by (l to r) recent graduate Keanna Motley, current senior Marcus Jones, and recent graduate Charity Jones as part of an outreach program to Costa Rica last summer.

In 2015, Charles City High School Spanish teacher Kristi Emerson had an idea to open doors for students to learn about the Hispanic American culture. Through two years of hard work and a desire to give back to those less fortunate, a journey to Costa Rica as part of an outreach program provided students the opportunity to make an impact on the lives less fortunate. Emerson was among a local group of six who took a trip to Pura Vida, Costa Rica this past summer. The trip allowed students studying Spanish not only to hone their communication skills, but the…
Read Full Story

Leadership convention

By Community Member | November 2, 2017 10:17 pm
Members of New Kent Middle School’s Junior Beta Club attended a regional leadership summit on Nov. 2-3 in Williamsburg. Students achieved mastery in the “Rapid Respond Challenge” which earned Abigail Powers the honor to attend the state convention in Hampton as well as the national convention in Savannah, Georgia. Pictured are (l to r) Sophie McLaughlin, Sadie Call, Abigail Powers, sponsor Lindsay Horne, Hailee Roberts, Annabella Seoane, Morgan Mills, and Maggie Duncan.
« Previous News More News »