New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | November 14, 2019

Community

First commercial business in Charles City

By Andre Jones | October 27, 2019 4:19 pm
The soon-to-be centenarian Alease Braxton (center) cuts the ribbon with assistance from Charles City County Administrator Michelle Johnson as county supervisors (l to r) Gilbert Smith, Bill Coada, and Floyd Miles Sr. look on as Dollar General becomes the first commercial business to open in the county. The store is part of the county’s plan to enhance the courthouse complex area and provides what was deemed a much-needed amenity to Charles City. The store officially opens Oct. 28 from 8 a.m.-10 p.m.Andre' Jones photo

New Kent ‘Roar and Soar’

By Robb Johnson | October 26, 2019 11:16 pm
Planes line the runway as part of the second annual New Kent’s Roar and Soar car and aircraft show Saturday afternoon at New Kent County Airport. Sponsored by New Kent’s Rotary Club, a plethora of motor vehicles and flying machines of all kinds participated in the event that serves as a fundraiser to provide scholarships to graduating high school seniors. More pictures of the event can be viewed online in the photo gallery at www.nkccnews.com.Robb Johnson photo

Suicide prevention walk

By Robb Johnson | October 26, 2019 9:53 pm
Members of Charles City High School’s National Honor Society lead the way in Saturday morning’s “Out of the Darkness” Suicide Prevention walk at Charles City High School. The event is held in conjunction with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to raise awareness and provide funds to fight the ongoing epidemic and offer services to those in need. Charles City’s participation resulted in a turnout of 115 walkers that raised more than $7,000 in its inaugural event.Robb Johnson photo

Letter to the Editor: Will support Peace for 97th District

By Community Member | October 24, 2019 11:58 pm

I will write in Chris Peace for Delegate. Chris has represented the 97th District with dignity and honor for 13 years. He is dedicated to the citizens of the district, and to making our interests heard in the General Assembly. Politics in Washington may have degenerated into name-calling and threats, but in Virginia, we are better than that. I encourage all to write-in Chris Peace for 97th District Delegate on Nov. 5. Stran Trout New Kent

Letter to the Editor: Says Paige has served District 3 in New Kent well

By Community Member | October 23, 2019 9:49 pm

Where is District 3 Board of Supervisor member Patricia Paige? She’s listening to the voice of the people. We spoke and she heard us when we said, “No Combat Zone”. The work will not stop there! Ms. Pagie acts on every call, text, and email. She personally responds to each and every one of them. No matter how big or small, Ms. Paige works for the citizens of District 3 without any potential conflict of interest. Under Ms. Paige’s care, District 3 constructed a new fire station located in Talleysville and renovated the Eltham Road location. Additionally, we are now…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Says it’s time for Peace to move on from 97th District

By Community Member | October 23, 2019 9:37 pm

A few years ago, Chris Peace knocked on my door and asked me to support him. I asked him where he stood on term limits and he just smiled because he had been in office for more than 10 years. He didn’t answer the question, but immediately assured me he was a second amendment supporter and generally opposed abortion. I voted for him and felt good about it. Not anymore. I was in a room with him in March when a discussion was held about an upcoming Republican convention for the 97th District. Final preparations were underway, and he had…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Supports Coffman as New Kent District 5 representative

By Community Member | October 23, 2019 12:51 pm

As a resident of New Kent District #5, I am casting my vote for Rodell Coffman as supervisor. During the many years that I have known Mr. Coffman, I have found him to be a caring and honest person. He’s always willing to listen to someone’s concerns. Over the years, he has also been a strong supporter of public safety in New Kent, which includes being one of the original founders of New Kent Volunteer Fire Department #3. Mr. Coffman is truly a person that we need in New Kent to guide us through the future. Please cast your vote…
Read Full Story

Editorial: Effort and hard work is necessary when outreaching to the community

By Andre Jones | October 22, 2019 1:57 pm

As I sat in the barber shop chair getting my haircut, I looked out the window to see all the construction going on with Highland Springs High School. I know from my interactions with people affiliated with that school that the plan to rebuild the athletic fields took a lot of work and outreach. Thus, my editorial formed in my head for this week. Today, we live in a society where there are organizations looking for handouts or individuals who are accepting donations. I do not have an issue with that at all, but my focus turns onto people making…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Says right to vote was taken away in 97th District

By Community Member | October 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Most people that know me know I have a love of American history. We can learn from and be guided by those lessons that our forefathers and foremothers taught us. I urge the citizens of the 97th Delegate District to remember the words of Thomas Jefferson that he wrote in the Declaration of Independence: “Governments are instituted among men, deriving their powers from the consent of the governed.” I feel that in our district that was taken away when my vote was thrown in the trash can along with others. The McDaugle/Norment/Wyatt cabal cannot and should not succeed. If it…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Unity means success when voting for Wyatt

By Community Member | October 20, 2019 8:48 pm

The general election is nearly upon us and I am so excited to see the levels of unity being shown behind our Republican nominee for the 97th House District, Scott Wyatt. Mr. Wyatt stands for everything we believe in and reflects the type of nominee I think every district in the Commonwealth would be fortunate to have. After a disastrous misinformation campaign was spread against Mr. Wyatt, most Republicans I know have taken the time to do their research. I know I speak for the vast majority of voters in stating that I will be proudly supporting Scott Wyatt on…
Read Full Story

« Previous News More News »