New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | April 8, 2020

Community

Editorial: Now is the time to support our local small businesses

By Andre Jones | March 23, 2020 11:13 pm

The next 30 days will no doubt be both lifechanging and difficult for a lot of us due to the pandemic of COVID-19. But I want you all to know that now is the time to invest locally. One of the benefits of living in Charles City and New Kent is that we are communities that thrive on each other’s businesses. We are small enough to know many people where these businesses can flourish, but recognizable to know what goods that can be offered. With the governor’s mandate restricting several businesses, I urge you to reach out to these people…
Read Full Story

Chickahominy Tribe declares state of emergency in response to COVID-19

By Community Member | March 19, 2020 10:04 am

Chief Stephen R. Adkins of the Chickahominy Indian Tribe declared a state of emergency in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic effective March 17. The declaration allows the tribe to mobilize and marshal resources to protect its citizens against the spread and infection of the disease. “We have a responsibility to inform and protect our tribal citizens during this critical time,” said Adkins in a press release. “Mobilizing resources and providing citizens with relevant and factual information is our best defense against the spread of this virus.” Until further notice, the Chickahominy Tribal Center will be closed to community functions….
Read Full Story

Grab and go meals for New Kent students available starting March 17

By Community Member | March 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Grab and Go meals will be available at New Kent High School starting Tuesday, March 17 for students. Prepackaged breakfasts and lunches will be served from 7-10 a.m. on March 17 to cover meals for the week for children 18 years and younger. March 18 will be used as a make-up day, with meals being able to be picked up between 11 a.m.-1 p.m. The same services will take place on Monday, March 23, and Wednesday, March 25, from 9 a.m.-11 a.m. Adults must be accompanied by each child under 18 who needs a meal. If a parent/child is unable…
Read Full Story

Colonial Downs closing doors until March 30

By Community Member | March 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Rosie’s Gaming Emporium at Colonial Downs in New Kent will shut down for two weeks. “While there are no known COVID-19 cases impacting anyone associated with any Rosie’s location, the safety of our team and our customers is our top priority,” said Aaron Gomes, Chief Operating Officer for the Colonial Downs Group. “As we have continued to monitor this situation, our action complies with federal and state guidance and is the right thing to do as a preventative measure.” Virginia Governor Ralph Northam order of social distancing regarding social gatherings and interacting with groups of 100 or more people are…
Read Full Story

Editorial: How I am approaching COVID-19 and my thoughts about it

By Andre Jones | March 15, 2020 10:46 am

As I sit here and think, I want to make sure that I put the right words together so that I can encourage people instead of discourage people. With each passing day, the effect of COVID-19 (the coronavirus) is affecting everyday life for us all. It first started with major sporting events and was quickly followed up by local events. On Friday, all Virginia schools are closed for two weeks and now businesses are starting to lock their doors for two weeks as well. I completely understand the decisions being made. There are attempts to prevent the spread and precautions…
Read Full Story

Yates earns Dean’s List accolades at Virginia Tech

By Community Member | March 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Taylor Yates, the valedictorian of New Kent High School’s Class of 2019, was named to the Dean’s List at the University of Virginia Tech for the Fall 2019 semester. In order to be named to the prestigious list, a student must accumulate a grade-point average of 3.4 higher while taking at least 12 credit hours.

Loveland earns Dean’s List accolades at Washington University

By Community Member | March 10, 2020 10:07 pm

Callista Loveland, a 2017 graduate of New Kent High School, was named to the Dean’s List of Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, for the Fall 2019 semester. In order to qualify for the Dean’s List, a student must earn a semester grade point average of 3.6 or better while taking at least 14 graded units.

Editorial: A refreshing start to mending fences in Charles City

By Andre Jones | March 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Tuesday night’s joint board meeting between Charles City County supervisors and Charles City’s School Board was a refreshing one. While both boards have met in the past, it was usually a tension-filled experience, with each side choosing to stand their ground and not obtain a firm understanding of what each other one is doing. With changes in leadership there comes new ideas and a chance to make a fresh new start. That is what these boards chose to do. Sometimes people don’t give credit where it’s due, and that can go for any situation at any time. But sitting through…
Read Full Story

NKHS FBLA earn medals at regional competition

By Community Member | March 7, 2020 10:19 pm

New Kent High School’s Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) chapter earned medals in various disciplines during recent regional competition. Winners are the team of Jawa Johnson and Linsey Vorous (1st-web design), Samantha Beverly (1st-emerging business issues), Amanda Rowe (1st-sales presentation), the team of Zion Furbush, MiiMii Harris, and Roy Kegley (1st-broadcast journalism), Tyler Bender (1st-global business), Leighanna Guyton (1st-help desk), Louis Iampaglia (1st-cyber security), Treyvon Taylor (1st-sports and entertainment management), Charlotte Verdu (1st-business procedures), Ashlynne Williams (1st-word processing), the team of Brady Hillis, Eathan King, and Jack Porter (2nd-entrepreneurship), Clayton Evelyn (3rd-business law), Trevor Evelyn (3rd-economics), Dakarai Knorr (3rd-business…
Read Full Story

Coutu earns Dean’s List recognition at University of Virginia

By Community Member | March 7, 2020 10:12 pm

Abbey Coutu, a 2019 graduate of New Kent High School, earned Dean’s List honors for the 2019 Fall Semester at the University of Virginia. In order to be recognized for the list, a student must earn a grade-point average of 3.5 higher while taking a minimum of 15 credit hours.

« Previous News More News »