New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | September 24, 2020

Community

Jenna Grace King Memorial Scholarship recipients

By Community Member | August 26, 2020 3:23 pm
Katelyn Gray (left) and Grace Lysek (right) of the 2020 recipients of the Jenna Grace King Memorial Scholarship. Each young lady received a $1,500 monetary contribution that will assist them in their future studies.

Garden of Honor

By Community Member | August 25, 2020 10:59 pm
Justin Harris (center) completed his Eagle Scout project by creating a First Responder Memorial Garden in New Kent. With the assistance of fellow scouts, Justin completed the work in just over a month, with the project honoring first responders from law enforcement, fire and rescue, and public safety with plaques. Pictured with Justin are (l to r) New Kent County Sheriff J. Joe McLaughlin Jr., Chiep Deputy Lee Bailey, father Kip Harris, and Eagle Project Advisor Wayne Martell.

Editorial: It’s time to understand each other instead of judging people for their beliefs

By Andre Jones | August 25, 2020 6:39 pm

Charles City and New Kent are phenomenal communities. However, our communities aren’t perfect. Despite there being several opportunities to communicate and voice concerns, some people elect not to take on the issues in the foreground. Instead, they choose to navigate in the shadows to initiate uproar and confusion. Speaking with my employee Robb Johnson, he received an email from a person complaining about pictures that he took at the ‘One New Kent’ Unity Walk. That email accused him of a one-sided depiction of the event. While I cannot confirm the exact origins of the email, it may have come from…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Believes New Kent missed opportunity to install Internet lines

By Community Member | August 25, 2020 9:44 am

I do not understand why New Kent is not working with Dominion Power and an Internet provider to bury an Internet cable as they bury the power lines. When the power lines were buried on my road, I asked the contractor about the feasibility and was told they would allow the cable to be buried with the power cables. I brought this up at a board meeting and was ignored. I believe this was a huge missed opportunity. Harold Miller Quinton

Letter to the Editor: Thanks New Kent County for support

By Community Member | August 25, 2020 9:39 am

As your Sheriff serving this great New Kent County, I feel it necessary and important to say thank you to the citizens of our community. The citizens of this region continue to proudly show their support of this office in so many ways. We are blessed to have such an excellent relation with our community, and we are blessed to serve in such a community. As we face the day-to-day responsibilities of serving and protecting our communities, we are confronted with additional factors outside of our normal activities. The COVID-19 pandemic and the turmoil across our nation certain have affected…
Read Full Story

‘One New Kent’ Unity Walk

By Robb Johnson | August 23, 2020 10:14 pm
Approximately 100 people turned out for the ‘One New Kent’ Unity Walk Sunday afternoon. The walk’s path from New Kent Middle School to New Kent’s Historic Courthouse sent a message of unity, peaceful protest, and acceptance of all people despite age, race, sexual orientation, and religious beliefs, despite the several differences among others.Robb Johnson photo

Primitive camping now available at Lawrence Lewis Jr. Park in Charles City

By Andre Jones | August 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Primitive camping is now available at Lawrence Lewis Jr. Park in Charles City. The new camping area is the results of three years of work and was presented in 2017 by the James River Association to Charles City County leaders. In September 2017, James River Association representative Justin Doyle presented plans for construction of three primitive areas and one group camping area at Lawrence Lewis Jr. Park. The proposal came as the result of research that traffic on the Virginia Capital Trail that runs through the county has increased. With no hotels or places to stay along the route, the…
Read Full Story

Editorial: COVID-19 is forcing tough decisions, so don’t be naive to understand why they are made

By Andre Jones | August 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Monday night’s decision by New Kent’s School Board to revert back to an all-virtual start instead of a hybrid start was indeed a tough decision. But it is also probably the right one for the time being. Now before some of you begin to bash me for what I just said, please understand that I can see how the impact of the decision is affecting families. I was probably the first one who favored a hybrid start because there are families where the adult works and would not have any supervision of the child. No supervision means the escalating of…
Read Full Story

New Kent Lions Club announce scholarship winners

By Community Member | August 18, 2020 9:44 am

New Kent County Lions Club has announced the recipients of their annual scholarship. Loren Lotz, a 2020 graduate of Charles City High School, and Grace Lysek, a 2020 graduate of New Kent High School were recipients of the monetary contributions towards their education. Lotz was presented the Earl Scott Memorial Scholarship in the amount of $1,000 and will be continuing her studies at Virginia Commonwealth University. Lysek was presented the Mac L. Hodge Memorial Scholarship in the amount of $1,000 and will be attending James Madison University.

Green scholarship recipients named

By Community Member | August 18, 2020 9:37 am

Two recent graduates of New Kent High School were recipients of the Dr. Calvin C. Green Scholarship. Grace Lysek and Jamar Christian received the scholarships through a recent ceremony. Lysek’s endowment was sponsored by The Green Committee as she pursues her studies at James Madison University. Christian’s monetary donation was sponsored by New Kent’s Branch of the NAACP and will be used as he continues his education at Averett University.

« Previous News More News »