New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | February 26, 2021

Community

Editorial: It’s time to elaborate on the truth about Black History

By Robb Johnson | February 10, 2021 6:49 am

It’s the first week of Black History Month and it is time for a chance to get real. People always ask why this month is so important. This month has extra meaning for so many because for so long, the history added with the accomplishments of so many have felt like they have been pushed off to the side. Black excellence is important whether people want to acknowledge it or not. The United States of America was built on the backs of slaves, along with African-American people who never get their true credit for what they have accomplished. This month…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Believes New Kent schools need visuals to confirm student attendance

By Community Member | February 8, 2021 10:22 am

I believe that New Kent High School is not tracking attendance when you enroll your child to be at the school café to do virtual learning. Kids can shut their cameras off, and anyone can log onto the Chromebook. As long as a child logs on, the school counts attendance. Even though your child can be enrolled, if your child does not show up and still logs onto the Chromebook, the school has no knowledge that the child is missing. As a parent, this is alarming. I enrolled my child who was failing with virtual learning to attend the school…
Read Full Story

Quinton Elementary School groundbreaking ceremony

By Robb Johnson | February 4, 2021 10:15 pm

Hayes named to Marymount University’s Dean’s List

By Community Member | February 4, 2021 12:12 am

Jordan Hayes, a Charles City County resident and 2020 graduate of Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School, was named to the Dean’s List at Marymount University for the Fall 2020 semester. In order to be recognized for the honor, a student must accumulate a grade-point average of 3.4 or better while taking at least 12 credit hours.

Editorial: Let’s start a trend of positivity

By Andre Jones | February 3, 2021 4:46 am

Recently, every time I enter into a social media platform, there is a new “trend” taking place. Whether it’s a dance routine or a challenge, the desire to be part of an acceptable group and become recognized quickly makes its rounds before it fades away. So, how about we make a trend that influences positivity among all of us? Have we had trends like that before? Yes, we have. We have had “pay it forward”, but that quickly became a revenge trend where a person would buy a meal for someone else and then show the receipt and keep both…
Read Full Story

Brown earns Dean’s List accolades at Virginia State University

By Community Member | February 2, 2021 6:40 pm

Laina Brown, a 2019 graduate of Charles City County High School, has been named to the Dean’s List at Virginia State University for the Fall 2020 semester. In order to be recognized for the honor, a student must accumulate a grade-point average of 3.5 or higher while taking at least 12 semester hours of classes.

Letter to the Editor: Are our taxes being used adequately at the local level?

By Community Member | February 2, 2021 6:37 pm

Supreme Court Justice Olive Wnedel Homes wrote in 1927, “Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society,” when he dissented his opinion in the court case of Capmania General de Tabacos de Filipinas vs. the Internal Revenue Service. Most people paid local taxes in December in the form of personal property and real estate taxes. We also pay a sales tax, meals tax, business tax, gas tax, and a host of other taxes. Most of us will work to pay our federal taxes that are due on Apr. 15 and state taxes due on May 1. My wife and…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Thanks New Kent superintendent for efforts to get vaccinations

By Community Member | January 31, 2021 12:12 am

I just wanted to thank Dr. Brian Nichols for his tireless efforts to get all New Kent County Public School employees vaccinated. New Kent County Public Schools is way ahead of other districts in the who vaccination process and I know this is in large part due to him pushing to make it happen. I was very impressed with how smoothly the whole process went. It was obvious that a lot of time and effort went into planning it to make it as seamless as possible. Dr. Nichols’ concern for the safety and well-being of his employees is both evident…
Read Full Story

Editorial: Student-athletes are proving that rules can be followed

By Robb Johnson | January 27, 2021 1:56 am

When we look at the last year or so of this virus, one thing that we tend to forget about are the young adults and kids in our school systems. We must understand that for them, especially for the athletes, what they are doing to have the opportunity to play games is amazing. It almost feels like it is taken for granted at times when the virus first hit. Sports were completely shut down in Virginia. We understand that other states did things differently, especially when it came to playing football. That is a sport that serves as a moneymaker…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Says it’s time for New Kent students to return to buildings

By Community Member | January 25, 2021 1:44 pm

As a school board member, the question I am asked the most is, “When are schools going to open for in-person learning for all students?” This question has not left my mind for the past 10 months. I believe we received some good news recently and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. The governor moved teachers and other school employees up in vaccine priority so that in-person learning could occur as soon as possible. On Jan. 23, all teachers and staff that work in New Kent County Public Schools had the opportunity to receive the first…
Read Full Story

« Previous News More News »