New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | September 19, 2019

Community

Bookbag contest winner

By Community Member | September 6, 2019 10:36 am
Kristen Neito (left) is accompanied by owner Julie Waldrop (right) as Shear Stylin’s 2019 Bookbag Contest Winner. She received a bag filled with school supplies and beauty products worth approximately $500.

Editorial: Support those who are assisting with hurricane relief efforts

By Andre Jones | September 3, 2019 8:07 pm

As some of you all are reading this, you are either experiencing conditions of Hurricane Dorian or possible aftermath. While I know most of our hearts go out to those in the tropical islands and along the east coast, remember there are some of our very own people are out there assisting those who are in these areas that have been hit hard. Disaster relief teams from our own localities and people who have giving hearts are making the trip down south to brave the torrential weather and devastating road conditions. As those people make the trip to support others,…
Read Full Story

Letter to the Editor: Thanks those who supported the New Kent County Fair

By Andre Jones | September 1, 2019 10:35 am

On behalf of the New Kent County association, I would like to thank the nearly 2,500 people who attended the New Kent Fair on Aug. 17-18. We thank all the vendors, exhibitors, sponsors, and volunteers who made it happen! Each year we make an effort to include new ideas in our exhibits, such as digital art. We welcome suggestions of other ideas from our community. We also bring new activities to the fair, such as the Game Truck, Connect 4 Basketball, the Donut Dangle, and the Hula Hoop contest. We also gave fair-goers the opportunity to create various crafts. However,…
Read Full Story

Editorial: Some advice for the adults as students prepare to head back to school

By Andre Jones | August 28, 2019 2:03 am

Believe it or not, a new school year is right around the corner. And with kids entering the doors on Tuesday in both New Kent and Charles City, it’s time to address and speak to some very important people: the adults. Students are beginning to transition back into the world of education and that means as adults, we must be prepared just as much. For starters, we must make simple adjustments in our daily routines to compensate for classroom doors opening. An example would be providing extra time for those who travel in the morning for work. With school buses…
Read Full Story

Fourth annual New Kent Unity Walk

By Robb Johnson | August 24, 2019 3:06 pm
A walk from New Kent’s Historic School to the current courthouse complex signified the fourth annual New Kent Unity Walk held Saturday morning. The event continues to be at the forefront of promoting peace, prosperity, and a common bond among people from all different types of backgrounds and various differences to unite as one.Robb Johnson photo

Letter to the Editor: Show sportsmanship as a fan of high school sports

By Community Member | August 21, 2019 12:38 pm

The start of the new school year is right around the corner. And with that, it signals the start of the new high school sports season. I love high school sports. It’s a pleasure to watch a young athlete give 100 percent effort to try and help their team win. Working hard to win is important, even when we seem to be living in an “everybody gets a trophy” world. As we begin this new athletic year, it is important that we all keep a few things in mind. The game officials are not out to get you. Officiating sports…
Read Full Story

Editorial: Integrating technology into local county fairs

By Andre Jones | August 20, 2019 7:13 pm

New Kent County’s Fair took place this past weekend. With all the wonderful events going on, I could not help but notice that a trend has been going on with the event. As I weaved my way around New Kent Middle School’s hallways, I noticed the wonderful displays of pictures, canned goods, and crafts on tables as part of the annual “New Kent Sweepstakes.” However, when reviewing the winner’s list, only five people were listed on the sheet, for both adults and the youth division. While I’m not saying that those were the only participants, it made me wonder if…
Read Full Story

Platt speaks to New Kent Rotary

By Community Member | August 19, 2019 11:29 pm
Clenise Platt, the District Governor of Rotary District 7600, was the guest speaker at New Kent Rotary Club’s Aug. 9 meeting. Platt spoke about the goals for the district’s organization.

New Kent County Fair 2019

By Andre Jones | August 17, 2019 1:26 pm
Above, two-year old Harvey McFadden is able to hold a hermit crab with assistance from Tamika Hathaway as part of New Kent County’s Fair held Aug. 16-18. The annual event provided the community opportunities to enjoy carnival attractions, on-stage entertainment, and visit a number of vendor booths. Below, Miss New Kent County Fair Molly McCartney waves to the crowd as part of the opening parade. More pictures of the fair can be viewed in the photo gallery.Andre' Jones photos

Editorial: Kids are back in school, but should school be in session?

By Andre Jones | August 14, 2019 8:28 am

Believe it or not, it’s a new school year already. And while only some of the students in Charles City and New Kent are in the building for extracurricular activities, that may not be the case next year. In July, legislation passed that will allow all schools to start before Labor Day next year. Known as the “Kings Dominion” law, only schools that received a waiver from appropriate agencies were allowed to start their educational session before the holiday. If they didn’t receive a waiver or elected not to go that route, schools started the Tuesday after the holiday. The…
Read Full Story

« Previous News More News »