New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | November 21, 2018

Community

NKMS Veterans’ Day program 2018

By Robb Johnson | November 10, 2018 10:49 am
The Rev. Ray Gresham (left) bellows out the last note of “God Bless the U.S.A.” as retired U.S. Sergeant Robert Bunn pumps his fist in adoration during New Kent Middle School’s Veterans’ Day program on Nov. 9. The annual program continues to honor those who served and sacrificed for the country. Below, New Kent Middle School’s choir orchestrate a melody of songs honoring the veterans and the United States.Robb Johnson photos

Editorial: The value of friendship and remembering what it’s worth

By Andre Jones | November 7, 2018 12:32 am

For most of the week, I struggled to come up with an editorial about what I was going to write about. Fortunately, a chance meeting on Tuesday when I went to vote provided me the inspiration I needed. As I stepped out of my car, I went to place an order for some food before casting my vote. As I did, I heard a voice that I was familiar with. It was one of my closest friends along with his parents heading into the Charles City Courthouse to cast their vote. It meant a lot to me to see one…
Read Full Story

Johnson looks to improve emergency services in Charles City

By Robb Johnson | November 7, 2018 12:02 am
DSC_0192

To bring change in a community, those who desire it have to come together to make it happen. When Charles City citizens lobbied for better fire and EMS services, County Administrator Michelle Johnson hired its first ever Director of Fire and EMS for the county. James “Jimmy” Johnson was introduced to the position at the board of supervisors meeting in September. The 49-year old brings 13 years of experience working as a firefighter in Richmond. Johnson is no stranger to the county as he has family residing in Charles City. His number one interest is improving the county’s emergency response…
Read Full Story

Junior BETA club success

By Community Member | November 6, 2018 10:05 am
Lead Outside the Box team members (above) and Rapid Response team members (below) from both New Kent Elementary School and New Kent Middle School Junior BETA Clubs celebrate after participating at a regional leadership summit on Nov. 1-2. All four teams qualified for the national competition that will take place next June in Oklahoma City. At bottom, Olivia Carey (left) was selected as a state leadership representative and will interview at the national level. She is accompanied by Junior BETA club sponsor and New Kent Middle School teacher Lindsay Horne (right).

CCES Fall Festival

By Andre Jones | November 3, 2018 2:39 pm
Above, kids and adults take a hay ride on a crisp day as part of activities held during Charles City Elementary School’s Fall Festival Saturday afternoon. Guests were treated to a variety of events including exploring a haunted house, creating Thanksgiving decorations, and play a game of cornhole (below).Andre' Jones photos

Bates Bridge

By Robb Johnson | November 3, 2018 12:37 pm
Above, the sign that will be placed on Airport Road above Interstate 64 in honor of fallen Virginia State Trooper Berke M.M. Bates is presented at a Nov. 2 ceremony held at Kentwood Heights Baptist Church. Several law enforcement officers, dignitaries, and supports came out in support of the trooper who passed away on Aug. 12, 2017 along with Lieutenant H. Jay Cullen while on helicopter patrol in Albermarle County. Below, Amanda Bates, the wife of the belated trooper, delivers a positive message by saying, “Though people will see signs like this one we will unveil today, his name will be synonymous with honesty, dedication, gratitude, hard work, love, and most of all, loyalty.”Robb Johnson photos

Medicaid applications now accepted in New Kent

By Community Member | October 31, 2018 11:59 am

New Kent’s Department of Social Services is now accepting applications for Medicaid expansion. Director of New Kent Social Services John Martz expects new clients anywhere from 400-500 people. Applications will be accepted on Nov. 1 and can be picked up at the department of social services. Coverage for Medicaid will begin Jan. 1, 2019. Martz also advised that people applying may visit www.coverva.org to determine if they are eligible. For more information, call 966-1853.

Girl Scouts notch awards

By Community Member | October 31, 2018 11:46 am
Girl Scouts from Troop 565 based out of New Kent (l to r) Samantha Quinn, Sadie Call, Avery Nixon, and Sydney Nixon are recognized for earning Silver and Bronze awards. Samantha and Sadie earned the Silver Award by constructing a Gaga Pit at Quinton Park, while Sydney (Silver) and Avery (Bronze) earned their recognition by replanting flower gardens at Providence United Methodist Church. In addition, Sydney also installed benches at the gardens.

Editorial: Do your diligence and make sure you vote

By Andre Jones | October 30, 2018 11:39 pm

As 2018 flies by in a hurry and nears it end, it is vital for each and everyone of us to take in the opportunities and time we have each other. A combination of these two can be with the upcoming Election Day. It is not only a right and a duty for us to vote on Election Day, we should view it as an honor. Taking the opportunity to voice your opinion is taken for granted by many people. When complaints often rise about one candidate or elected official, the question you should ask is did you do your…
Read Full Story

District rotary speaker

By Community Member | October 26, 2018 8:39 pm
Rotary Foundation District Endowment Fund Chair Bill Billings was the guest speaker at New Kent Rotary’s Club Oct. 19 meeting. His presentation revolved around taking better pictures with smart phones.
« Previous News More News »