New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | March 19, 2018

Kindergarten registration is Apr. 19

By Community Member | March 5, 2018 6:12 pm

One of the biggest milestones in a child’s journey is starting school and being ready to succeed. On Thursday, Apr. 19, Smart Beginnings Greater Richmond will hold its eighth annual Regional Kindergarten Campaign for Charles City and New Kent. Children who are five years old by Sept. 30 can start kindergarten this upcoming fall, but needs to register. Registration will be held at Charles City Elementary School, George Watkins Elementary School, and New Kent Elementary School. In New Kent, visit (click “For Parents) to see what elementary zone your child falls in. In Charles City, visit (under parents)…
Read Full Story

New location highlights 10th annual “A Taste of New Kent”

By Community Member | March 5, 2018 6:06 pm

A new location will highlight the 10th annual “A Taste of New Kent” wine festival on May 5. Sponsored by New Kent’s Chamber of Commerce, this year’s festival will be held at Maidstone Village, located at 11815 Aspengraf Lane in New Kent. The event will host a number of wineries, vendors, and will have beer available for purchase. Parking will be available at New Kent Middle and High School. The event will last from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Cost is $25 advance, $30 at the door, and $15 for active military and non-drinkers. Proceeds from the event will assist in providing…
Read Full Story

Helping with leaps and bounds

By Community Member | March 1, 2018 7:23 pm
Charles City Elementary School students raised over $5,000 through their participation in the “Jump Rope for Heart” on Feb. 16. The funds raised will be used by the American Heart Association to assist kids who suffer with heart problems.

Editorial: Those who leave still care about Charles City and New Kent

By Andre Jones | February 27, 2018 9:04 am

When a person leaves Charles City or New Kent, it is usually to pursue an education or further a career. But just because that person chooses to depart the area doesn’t mean that they don’t want the best for their hometown. This past weekend, I had the privilege to take my annual trip to Emmittsburg, Maryland to visit my friend and Mount St. Mary’s head coach Jamion Christian. After winning his 100th career game, I provided him an annual care package of his favorite newspaper, the New Kent-Charles City Chronicle. (Even the young people still prefer the hard copy, but…
Read Full Story

Local students recognized for academic honors at John Tyler Community College

By Community Member | February 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Several local students have been named to either the Honors’ List or Dean’s List at John Tyler Community College for the Fall 2017 semester. Laurie Burnette and Javel Jefferson, both of Charles City, Nina Brundle of Quinton, and Matthew Woodson of Lanexa were named to the Honors’ List for the Fall semester. Cheyanne Cotman of Charles City received Dean’s List accolades. In order to be named to the Honors’ list, a student must accumulate a grade-point average of 3.5 or better and have completed at least 24 college credit hours. Students named to the Dean’s list must earn a grade-point…
Read Full Story

Colonial Soil and Water Conservation awards

By Community Member | February 22, 2018 4:31 pm
The Colonial Soil and Water Conservation District announced awards for local residents at its Jan. 19 awards dinner. Above, Boogie and Paul Davis (center) of Davis Produce are recipients of the Clean Water Farm Award for the James River Watershed.

The Wilford Family received the BMP Forestry Award for their stewardship and conservation activites conducted on their New Kent tree farm.  Steve Lueke, who serves New Kent as an elected director, was also recognized for his 35 years of service.

Gardy wins surveying awards

By Community Member | February 22, 2018 4:08 pm

New Kent surveyor David R. Gardy of Gardy and Associates P.C. was announced as the first-place winner in the Subdivision Plats at the Virginia Association of Surveyors General Membership Meeting on Jan. 18-20. The annual contest judges adherence to the minimum standards set by the National Society of Professional Surveyors. Gardy also finished second in boundary/cadastral maps (miscellaneous maps), boundary line adjustment plat, and subdivision plats.

“Go See It” with cub scouts

By Community Member | February 22, 2018 11:44 am
Cub Scout Pack 504, based out of Memorial United Methodist Church in Charles City, had a chance to meet with Deputy Brandon Robinson and explore his vehicle as part of the “Go See It” event on Feb. 21.

Visit by McAuliffe

By Community Member | February 21, 2018 9:06 am
Former Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe (left) is presented a gift of appreciation by Chief Stephen Adkins (right) of the Chickahominy Tribe during a December visit to Charles City last Dec. 7. McAuliffe was one of many people that was instrumental in assisting the Chickahominy Tribe in gaining federal recognition.

Editorial: Gun laws are not the solution to gun control

By Andre Jones | February 20, 2018 11:29 pm

First, let me send my prayers and condolences not only to those in Florida who loss their lives in the mass shooting, but also to everybody who has lost a loved one due to an act of violence. In probably the worst kept secret, there has been a lot of debate about gun control in the news due to the recent incidents that have taken place. I will say this; implementing new gun laws will not prevent gun control. I have never used a gun before and I don’t have any intentions to do so. However, I do not have…
Read Full Story

« Previous News More News »