New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | July 21, 2018

Community

Baker hauls in bass

By Community Member | July 3, 2018 1:45 pm
Providence Forge Ronnie Baker emerged as T-H Marine FLW Bass Fishing League (BFL)’s winner in the Shenadoah Division Tournament on June 30 at Kerr Lake. Baker caught five bass with a combined weight of 14 pounds, one ounce to win the $4,479 prize.

Charles City Community Day

By Robb Johnson | July 1, 2018 12:06 am
Above, kids tour the parking lot of Charles City High School as part of Charles City’s Community Day on June 30. Sponsored by the River Church to promote suicide prevention, the event was dedicated to Troy and Kelly Adkins who lost their son last year tragically. Below, kids were able to flip upside down off a trampoline while, at bottom, other children choose to partake of going down an inflatable slide for fun.Robb Johnson photos

Locals receive academic recognition from John Tyler Community College

By Community Member | June 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Several local residents have been named to the Honors’ List and Dean’s List at John Tyler Community College for the Spring 2018 semester. Charles City residents Laurie Burnette and Javel Jefferson, Lanexa resident Matthew Woodson, and Quinton residents Nina Brundle, Kelly Gellings, and Kaylin Seely all were named to the Honor’s List. Making the Dean’s List is Charles City resident Cheyaenne Cotman. To be named to the Honors’ List, a student must have completed 24 credit hours and accumulated a grade-point average of 3.5 or better. Students named to the Dean’s List must be enrolled as a full-time student and…
Read Full Story

Snead awarded Fary Memorial scholarship

By Community Member | June 28, 2018 3:33 pm
Snead

Michael Todd Snead, a 2018 graduate of New Kent High School, is the recipient of the Thomas Peterson and Alvin Jenettie Roane Fary Memorial Scholarship. Snead was awarded the scholarship worth $24,000. He will be attending Virginia Tech and plans to major in engineering.

Letter to the Editor: Sheriff’s office should handle Charles City litter issue

By Community Member | June 27, 2018 2:44 pm

The core problem with litter in Charles City is the lack of law enforcement. Accountability for littering is two-fold; the sheriff’s department and those who litter day after the day, trashing up our roads and personal property. Our litter laws, if enforced, will bring large fines to polluters, which, in turn, will result in a clean town as part of “keeping America beautiful.” After VDOT (Virginia’s Department of Transportation) workers regularly clean out littered ditches, polluters show their contempt for the law and fellow citizens by tossing more trash right next to the orange litter bags that are bundled up…
Read Full Story

Quimby named to Dean’s List at High Point University

By Community Member | June 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Zacheriah Quimby, a resident of Providence Forge, was named to High Point University’s Dean’s List for the Spring 2018 semester. Quimby is double majoring in history and political science. He was inducted into the Phi Alpha Theta History and Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Societies. In order to be named to the Dean’s List, a student must accumulated a grade-point average of 3.5 or better.

Editorial: Supporting a good cause continues to become more complicated

By Andre Jones | June 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Most people want to give back to a good cause. Fundraisers have been a strong establishment for the basis of raising money to support organizations and groups for several years. From Brunswick stew sales to support Juan Mickel-Jones in New Kent to dinner sales for the #keepfightingChip campaign, the intentions are pure at heart and people come from miles away just to support it. But unfortunately, the days of fundraising are becoming more complicated than helpful. Online campaigns have popped up on a plethora of websites and it’s difficult to determine which ones are legit and which ones are fake….
Read Full Story

Sherenco earns degree from Randolph-Macon College

By Community Member | June 25, 2018 7:25 pm
_DSC4452 Ryan Sherenco

Ryan Sherenco, a 2013 graduate of New Kent High School, completed his studies at Randolph-Macon College. Sherenco earned a Bachelor’s of Arts degree in Business Management during June commencement ceremonies. He also graduated Cum Laude.

Letter to the Editor: Charles City roads are too trashy

By Community Member | June 25, 2018 7:15 pm

As a resident of Charles City County, I couldn’t agree more with the assessment of the horrendous amount of trash on the roads. I drive all over Central Virginia for my work and while trash is a problem everywhere, I don’t see it to the level we have in Charles City. I love Charles City, but I can’t understand why people litter like this. I believe it’s most residents that are doing this and it’s not Virginia Department’s of Transportation (VDOT) or people passing through trashing our roads. The county needs to have an all-out public awareness campaign about littering….
Read Full Story

Owens named to Longwood University’s Dean’s List

By Community Member | June 22, 2018 10:35 am

Savannah Owens, a graduate of New Kent High School’s Class of 2015, has been named to Longwood University’s Dean’s List for the 2018 Spring semester. In order to be named for the accolade, a student must be enrolled as a full-time student and accumulate a grade-point average of 3.5 or higher.

« Previous News More News »