New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | January 23, 2020

Community

Honoring New Kent’s first African-American supervisor

By Andre Jones | January 15, 2020 10:10 pm
Above, family members unveil the historic marker in honor of Samuel Wilson Crump during Wednesday afternoon’s ceremony in front of New Kent’s Historical Courthouse. Crump was the first African-American to serve on New Kent’s Board of Supervisors in 1955, serving a term of eight years and fighting for the rights to desegregate schools. Below, a close-up of the marker reveals just a few details of Crump’s influence in both New Kent County and the Commonwealth of Virginia.Andre' Jones photos

Gregory completes studies at Virginia Tech

By Community Member | January 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Lauren Gregory, a 2015 graduate of New Kent High School, recently completed her studies at Virginia Tech University. Gregory graduated Magna Cum Laude on Dec. 20, 2019 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Horticulture and minored in Entomology.

Editorial: It’s 2020; discrimination and racism still exists

By Andre Jones | January 14, 2020 11:24 pm

It’s 2020. Discrimination still exists. It’s very sad that even in today’s time after centuries of history and decades of fights that discrimination is still present in today’s world. Instead of learning to love each other and accept one another for our differences, there are those who instead choose to single us out because of our unique qualities and traits. In December 2019, a note with a racial slur was given to an African-American student in New Kent High School telling them to “go home.” It was a very disturbing sight to see. A group of people, let alone young…
Read Full Story

Editorial: My opinion on ‘Second Amendment sanctuaries’

By Andre Jones | January 8, 2020 10:31 am

Throughout the last month, the rise of “second amendment sanctuaries” has grown due to the declaration by county leadership. The declaration means that local counties will support people’s rights to bear arms as written in the United States Constitution and will oppose any legislation that may be passed at the state level to prohibit it. I’ve been asked my opinion on this issue and I will keep it simple; don’t attempt to strip the right of the people in an effort to control firearms. In an editorial I wrote on Feb. 20, 2018, I wrote that gun laws are not…
Read Full Story

State qualifiers

By Community Member | January 6, 2020 11:26 am
New Kent Robotics’ LOGICoyote team qualified for the state championship on Jan. 4 in Charlottesville. The team won three of five qualifying matches, with an additional match win in the semifinals in the regional qualifier. The first-year team will participate in the state championships on Feb. 22 at Atlee High School in Mechanicsville.

Donation to Charles City High School

By Community Member | January 3, 2020 7:28 pm
Representatives from sPower presented a check to Charles City High School in the amount of $11,100 to cover costs of several various initiatives. The solar farm operating company provided the funds to assist with field trips, teacher appreciation events, and spirit shirts to more than 300 students within the high school.

Editorial: Resolutions for everyone for the year 2020

By Andre Jones | January 1, 2020 11:48 pm

While there really isn’t a lot of news going on this week in our localities, I thought I’d write an editorial about resolutions. Not resolutions in general per say, but more along the lines about obligations and responsibilities we should have to each other as humans. 1. Make sure your elected officials do their respective jobs. If you voted or you have an interest in who is running your locality, make sure you take time to attend a board meeting or stop by the offices where they work at. I know I have mentioned this before, but the standard of…
Read Full Story

Editorial: What I personally learned in the year 2019

By Andre Jones | December 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Another decade has come and gone, just like 2019. As I look back over the occurrences that took place this year, I’d thought I’d write this editorial on the things I’ve learned this year and hopefully, some of these may apply to you and help you in the transition into 2020. 1. I learned that by being patient, risks taken years ago will be well worth it. I had two instances this year that this applied to. The first was when the Chronicle decided to become a daily newspaper. The turnover of news was at a rate where it seemed…
Read Full Story

‘Shop with the Sheriff’

By Community Member | December 24, 2019 12:36 pm
Charles City Sheriff’s Office held the fourth annual "Shop with a Sheriff” event Monday afternoon at the Walmart in Williamsburg. The event provided an opportunity for selected families to shop and brighten the spirits of children during the holiday season.

Donation to Ellie’s Hats

By Community Member | December 24, 2019 12:29 pm
Bethann Ford (left) of Heritage Public Library presents 50 needled hats to Ellie’s Hat representative Melissa Smith (right). The donation is to help the children’s cancer charity and were made by community members of Charles City and New Kent to lift spirits of youth fighting the deadly disease.
« Previous News More News »