New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | February 23, 2019

Convicted felon receives two years in jail after shooting cans in New Kent

By Andre Jones | February 12, 2018 9:25 pm

A Hopewell man will serve two years in jail after he was found to be in possession of a firearm after being convicted of a felony during Monday proceedings in New Kent Circuit Court.

Trevor Dillon Rhodes, 20, of the 200 block of N. 15th Avenue, entered into a plea agreement and entered a guilty verdict to a single charge of possession of a gun by a nonviolent felon. One charge of misdemeanor contributing to the delinquency of a minor was dropped as part of the deal.

In a summary of evidence, on Oct. 15, 2017, a New Kent deputy responded to a call about gunshots in an area located on Airport Road. When the deputy arrived, he noticed three adults and one juvenile firing guns at cans. After the deputy detained all four individuals, an interview with Rhodes revealed that he bought and owned the Winchester rifle that was being fired. An investigation revealed that Rhodes was a convicted felon and that the weapon used was stolen from Hopewell.

Under the agreement, Rhodes received a five-year jail sentence with three years suspended. The two years of active time is mandated under the state statute to serve.

In other circuit court cases:

–Ray Linwood Brown Jr., 23, of the 8700 block of Adkins Road, Charles City, entered straight guilty pleas to one count each of distribution of cocaine and misdemeanor pretrial violation.

In a summary of evidence, on June 26, 2017, Twin Rivers Task Force conducted an operation that targeted the defendant. Around four p.m., the defendant met with a confidential informant at the McDonalds in Bottoms Bridge and made a buy inside of the restroom. Moments after the purchase, Brown was arrested inside the restaurant.

A presentence report is being prepared with formal sentencing scheduled for the defendant on Apr. 16. Brown may be eligible to qualify for an alternate program for drug rehabilitation.

–Demone Antonio Hicks, 34, of the 600 block of E. 15th Street Richmond, entered Alford Pleas of guilt to one count each of destruction of evidence and distribution of cocaine as part of a plea deal. Two counts of conspiracy to distribute cocaine and one charge of distribution of cocaine was dropped as part of the agreement. An Alford Plea means that while the defendant maintains his innocence, evidence presented in the case would be enough to convict the defendant of the offenses.

In a summary of evidence, on Feb. 15, 2017, Hicks was a target of the Twin Rivers Task Force and met with a confidential informant outside a salon on Route 33. After the purchase, an officer initiated a traffic stop to arrest the suspect. Upon approaching the defendant, the officer saw money ripped apart in Hick’s lap. The pieces of the cash matched the money that was provided by Virginia State Police to purchase the drugs.

Under the agreement, Hicks received a five-year sentence with four years suspended (one to serve) on the destruction of evidence. All ten years on the distribution of cocaine was suspended.

A second defendant, Jazmia Monae Winston, 29, of the 4100 block of Farm Creek Terrace, Richmond, had one charge of distribution of cocaine dropped. According to Commonwealth’s Attorney Linwood Gregory, Winston was only driving the vehicle Hicks was occupying and did not participate in selling the substance.

–Douglas Wayne Hill, 61, of Richmond, entered an Alford Plea of guilt to a single count of misdemeanor making a false report to a police officer as part of a plea deal. One count of embezzlement was dropped.

In a summary of evidence, on Mar. 3, 2014, Hill operated The Car Guys in Providence Forge. During that time, a Tennessee man inquired about purchasing a truck from the place. The truck needed repairs, but the victim said he wanted the truck. Over the time where repairs were taking place, another employee of the company called the police to report the truck was stolen. Three years later, the vehicle was found in a lot in Richmond. However, witnesses say that Hill had the truck towed to the lot and said he would pick it up later. The defendant eventually refunded money to the victim in the amount of $22,500.

Under the plea agreement, Hill received a 12-month sentence with all time suspended.

–Nicholas Andres Santiago, 19, of the 100 block of Genlou Road, Chesterfield, entered a straight guilty plea to one charge of felony eluding.

In a summary of evidence, a Virginia State trooper noticed a motorcycle pass by him with no light shining on the license plate and an excessively loud exhaust pipe pass by him. When the officer attempted to stop the motorcycle, it began to accelerate and lead the officer on a chase. The driver of the motorcycle, later identified as Santiago, led the officer down backroads in the western part of New Kent at speeds topping 70 miles per hour. The defendant entered Hanover County and proceeded to get on Interstate 295 where speeds reached 130 miles per hour. Another trooper joined the chase and eventually rear-ended the motorcycle, causing it to slide to the ground. A short foot chase ensued before Santiago was arrested.

A presentence report is being prepared with formal sentencing scheduled for Apr. 16.

–Michele Ann Straitiff, 57, of 10A S. Conococheague Street, Williamsport, Maryland, entered Alford Pleas of guilt to one count each of grand larceny and breaking and entering.

In a summary of evidence, on June 23, 2017, a New Kent deputy had pulled over a Green Tundra during a traffic stop. While making the stop, a call came in about a possible burglary in the Lanexa area of the county. Upon arriving to the home of Ken Gilman, it was discovered that a vehicle was stolen while the victim and his wife was out of town. That vehicle was the same one that had been pulled over earlier in a day. The following day, a report came in from Henrico that the vehicle had been located and that another had been stolen. Straitiff was discovered in Cumberland with the second stolen vehicle and arrested.

Straitiff was sentenced to five years in jail with all but seven months suspended on the breaking and entering charge. All five years on the grand larceny charge was suspended. She must also pay $707.32 in restitution.