New Kent supervisors shift funds to complete Phase 1 of Pine Fork Park project
New Kent’s Board of Supervisors approved an appropriation to complete Phase 1 of the Pine Fork Park Project.
Board members voted 4-1 to move $325,591 from the capital reserve fund to finish the project during Tuesday morning’s work session.
For the most part with the exception of the concession stand, Phase 1 of Pine Fork Park is near completion. The project, originally priced at $4.38 million, had been reduced down to $4.121 million after reducing some costs. However, drainage issues, miscellaneous maintenance, and updates to athletic fields are also needed to be completed.
Board members expressed concern over engineering firms not following through results. Also, of concern is $58,601.71 in stormwater issues that need to be paid, as well as $25,000 in invoices.
At the recommendation of County Administrator Rodney Hathaway to appropriate the money, the motion passed with District 3 representative and Board Chairwoman Patricia Paige casting the lone dissenting vote, citing that she rather have a delay on the opening date than go over budget.
In another matter, county leaders unanimously passed a resolution addressing qualified immunity for law enforcement officers.
New Kent Chief Deputy Lee Bailey told board members that failing to support the resolution would put law enforcement in danger and lead to frivolous, vengeful, and harassing lawsuits. He added that those lawsuits would hurt deputies financially and cause mental strain.
“As long as I serve on this board, there is no way we would ever consider defunding our sheriff’s department,” said District 4 supervisor Ron Stiers.
Lawsuits can still happen if actions on the part of the police against citizens are proven to be unjustified.