New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | September 25, 2018

New Kent comes out winners in penalty stroke sudden death

By Robb Johnson | September 29, 2017 12:17 am
New Kent’s Peyton Slater (3) speeds away from Colonial Heights' Anna Carsley (2) during a breakaway attempt.Robb Johnson photo

New Kent’s Peyton Slater (3) speeds away from Colonial Heights' Anna Carsley (2) during a breakaway attempt.

Robb Johnson photo

Karma can be both positive and negative when applied in the right situation. And after informing referees on an errant goal call, the Lady Trojans saw the good gesture come back in the end.

After two scoreless halves and one 15-minute overtime period, New Kent’s Lady Trojans field hockey team edged Colonial Heights 1-0 during a sudden death penalty stroke period on Sept. 28.

New Kent had ample chances in regulation for scores, but were denied by Lady Colonials goalkeeper Gabbi Brewer 13 times. Meanwhile, New Kent’s defense held steady, only allowing the visitors to get off a single shot in the first 60 minutes of the contest.

The Lady Trojans had a final attempt with 10 seconds left in regulation on a penalty corner. However, a failed attempt sent the game into the extra overtime period.

Both teams continued to fight back-and-forth before a major turning point of the game took place. With 3:30 left in overtime, a New Kent penalty corner hit the side of the goal and out. The referee, however, ruled it a goal. Knowing that it wasn’t a goal, New Kent players told head coach Matt Duckworth of the error, refusing to accept the point.

With the contest still deadlocked, the game entered into sudden death penalty strokes. Each team alternated shot attempts in one-on-one matchups with the goalie, with each team failing to convert a goal in the first eight rounds.

Round nine yielded the first score of the night. Senior Lady Trojan Ashby Holsapple converted a goal to give the advantage to the hosts. Colonial Heights had to match the score to continue sudden death overtime, but Ashlynne Young’s failed to find the back of the net, concluding the game and giving New Kent the win.

After the contest, Duckworth commented about the missed opportunities in the game for the Lady Trojans that could have prevented the extra period.

“Tonight we just could not get the ball in,” he said. “Going 0-10 in penalty corners did not help us either.

“I am, however, proud that we were able to move the ball and execute some of the things we put into place at practice,” Duckworth added. “Our overall experience and effort on the defensive side of the ball really kept us in this game tonight.”

As far as the goal not being accepted, Duckworth emphasized earning a win and not being given one.

“My girls came over to me and said it didn’t go in,” the coach said. “We are not going to accept a shortcut.

“If the shoe was on the other foot, we wouldn’t want that to happen to us and we were not going to accept that,” Duckworth concluded.

New Kent improves to 6-7 overall with the victory.