New Kent Charles City Chronicle

News for New Kent County and Charles City County, Virginia | May 27, 2020

York’s aggressive attacks take down New Kent in 3-2 boys’ soccer match

By Robb Johnson | May 7, 2019 10:54 am
New Kent’s Adam Caldwell (left) performs a header over a leaping attempt by York’s Cameron Dunbar (10).Robb Johnson photo

New Kent’s Adam Caldwell (left) performs a header over a leaping attempt by York’s Cameron Dunbar (10).

Robb Johnson photo

It’s clear that New Kent’s boys’ soccer team has the talent to be very good, but inconsistent play on the field has told a different story. On Monday night, a few breaks by the visiting York Falcons took advantage of communication miscues by the hosting Trojans.

An emotional Bay Rivers battle resulted in the York Falcons emerging with a 3-2 victory over New Kent, dropping the hosts to 6-5-1 on the season.

A bicycle kick by New Kent’s Matteo Mechangeli from an assist by Issac Barber put New Kent in the lead moments into the contest. York’s methodical strategy of taking numerous shots against Trojan goalkeeper Logan Deters in an effort to wear him down paid dividends with 26 minutes left in the half, as a goal by Jacob Camp knotted the game at one.

Deters continued to feel the pressure as he faced a penalty kick after a questionable call. York’s Luis Ordonez tried to wear down the Trojan goalkeeper, but the save kept the game tied heading into halftime.

Mechangeli chip in goal returned the lead to New Kent 2-1. But in those very brief moments with the lead, it was wiped away as Falcon forward Cameron Dunbar connected on a high-arching goal over Deters’ outstretched hands with 28 minutes remaining in the second half.

Nine minutes later, Camp converted a free kick for the Falcons, overwhelming the goalkeeper and providing the visitors a 3-2 lead. New Kent battled in attempts to tie the game, as Trojan forward Spencer Gilland attempted a score with his left foot. However, York goalkeeper Spencer Elford made the stop to prevent any additional threats from the hosts.

New Kent Head Coach Derek Yates tried to be positive after the game, but the frustration of moral victories was obvious through his face and words.

“I told the team at halftime that we were not getting to the ball fast enough and we needed more fire,” he said. “I saw a little more in the second half, but not as much as I have seen that we’ve played in the past.”

As far as the final sequence, the head coach said team injuries have factored into the offensive output.

“He [Gilland] has been going through a lingering injury and he is not one hundred percent, which has been the case since the second or third game this season,” Yates said, commenting about the forward’s final attempt. “Plus, he’s dominantly a right foot. So, think about trying to write with your left hand if you’re right-handed. It’s awkward.”

“We had several chances to tie this game tonight,” the coach said as he wrapped up the conversation. “We had several opportunities and it just did not get into the net tonight.”